Higher Ground Men’s Conference Fact Sheet
About Higher Ground 2017
- The Higher Ground Men’s Conference is a ministry of Prodigals International. Launched in 2012, Higher Ground is the premier gathering of men of faith in the Pacific Northwest for encouragement, straight talk and practical tools for living with resiliency and integrity in today’s hyper-sexualized and fragmented culture.
- The 2017 conference is one day, February 25. All general sessions and breakout workshops are held at Westminster Chapel in Bellevue, Washington.
- Registration: 2017 event tickets will go on sale Saturday, October 1. Discounts provided for groups, youth groups, students and active military.
- The conference is designed for all men and young men age 13 years and older. However, as recent statistics indicate that young men, on average, are being exposed to online pornography as young as 11 years old, we defer to each parent/guardian to determine if Higher Grounds straight talk content is appropriate for student.
- While the conference is unapologetically Christ-centered, Higher Ground welcomes and encourages ALL MEN of the Pacific Northwest who desire a life of integrity for themselves and their sons to attend. The faith-based conference is GRACE focused, not judgment focused. Many men from a non-faith background come to Higher Ground each year and are appreciative of our relevant content and supportive environment.
- Each year Higher Ground features dynamic speakers and fresh workshops led by today’s leading voices and experts in the areas of spiritual integrity, sexual purity and social justice. 2017 keynotes will be announced August, 2016.
- Participants are provided multiple opportunities to dig deeper into key issues through our breakout sessions led by leading psychologists, pastors and thought leaders on topics such as: father-son relationships, living life with spiritual authenticity, sexual temptation and brokenness, leading with integrity in the workplace, and understanding how men can be champions of social justice in the realm of fighting poverty and the sex trade.
About Prodigals International
Since its inception in 2000, Prodigals International has been on the forefront of Christ-centered, 12-step counseling and support for countless men across the US and Canada seeking freedom from the bonds of sexual addiction, leading them to healing, restoration and sexual wholeness.
The unique key to the success of Prodigals Homecoming Support Groups is the training and empowerment of LEADER-MENTORS. Equipped MENTORS, who have successfully completed the recovery journey, reach out and support men just beginning their recovery. This one-on-one interaction creates the personal connection and accountability needed for long-term restoration and healing.
For more about Prodigals International, click here.
Current statistics about the use of pornography in America are indicative of its escalating destructive impact on men, teenage boys, women and the church.
- Approximately 40 million people in the United States are sexually involved with the Internet
- 25% of all search engine requests are pornography related
- 47% of families say pornography is a problem in their home
- 20% of men and 13% of women admit to accessing pornography at work
- 53% of “Promise Keeper” men admitted viewing pornography in the past week
- 50% of men in the church are currently struggling with some issue concerning pornography
- 34% of churchgoing women have intentionally visited porn sites online
- 54% of pastors admit to viewing internet pornography in the last year
- According to pastors, the top sexual issues damaging to their congregations are:
- 57% pornography addiction
- 34% sexually active never-married adults
- 30% adultery of married adults
- 28% sexually active teenagers
A more comprehensive list of statistics and source documents are available at Prodigals International.
About Human Trafficking & Sex Trade
Global & U.S. Facts
- Financially, human trafficking is the third largest form of crime in the world, only after drugs and weapons, bringing in over $31 billion a year. It is also the fastest growing type of global crime because unlike drugs, vulnerable boys, girls, men and women are a reusable commodity. Plainly speaking, sex trafficking is modern-day slavery.
- Between 100,000-300,000 U.S. children are enslaved in sex trafficking each year (Ernie Allen, President of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children).
- In the U.S., the average age of recruitment into sex slavery is 12-14 years old (Polaris Project: Comparison Chart of Primary Sex Trafficking Networks in the U.S.
- Approximately 20% of all internet pornography involves children who are victims of human trafficking (National Center for Mission & Exploited Children).
Seattle Area Facts
- Every night in Seattle, hundreds of children are sold for sex. The majority of these victims of coercion are young girls who, on average, first begin prostitution at the age of 13.*
- Seattle is the third most active city in terms of child prostitution in the nation.*
- *Based on statistics from the website of the documentary film Rape for Profit.
- In a 2008 study by Debra Boyer, 300 – 500 Seattle area youth were estimated to be involved in prostitution (p. 5); however, in 2009, local law enforcement anecdotally saw an explosion of young girls involved in sexual exploitation. The number could be as high as 1,000.